Labour and Co-operative MP for and Shadow Health Minister
In October 2013, I was appointed Shadow Minister for Public Health, having previously served as Shadow Minister for Climate Change.
I am a child of Thatcher’s Britain. Born shortly after she came to power, I had my childhood in the 80s and 90s. I was only young, but I remember what it was like. It was a nasty, spiteful, shameful period in our history. I’m in politics to make sure that we never go back.
I grew up in Wembley, on the edge of London, in a close, Jewish family. My Dad runs a shop which is a family business and my Mum works as part of the patient and family support team in a Palliative Care Unit. My grandad sold ladies fashions from a market stall across Northampton. My brother is a musician.
Before entering Parliament, I was a member of the Co-operative Party’s National Youth Committee, serving as its Vice Chair.
- Lack of commitment from Government on Energy Bill (11 Jun 2013)Energy Bill fails to provide much-needed support for co-operative and community energy schemes
- Luciana Berger visits Brixton Energy co-operative (15 Feb 2013)The scheme includes two solar projects which are the first in the UK to be installed on social housing
- Marking International Women’s Day (7 Mar 2012)The Co-operative Party Women’s Network was established for women in the Party to co-operate to help each other, offering their time and talents, experience and expertise. To celebrate International Women’s Day, some of our current women in politics offer some words of advice and inspiration to our aspiring politicians. The best piece of advice anyone […]
- Twigg to Education, Thomas now Shadow Minister for Co-ops (10 Oct 2011)Several Co-operative MPs, including some elected to Parliament in 2010, have featured prominently in Ed Miliband’s reshuffle of the shadow frontbench team over the weekend. Joining Ed Balls MP and Lord Steve Bassam in Shadow Cabinet will be Stephen Twigg, Labour & Co-operative MP for Liverpool West Derby since 2010 and now Shadow Education Secretary. […]
- The co-operative week in Westminster (16 Sep 2011)Parliamentary Officer Joe Fortune rounds up the latest from Parliament with the work of Co-operative Parliamentarians. This regular column will briefly round up some of the important or noteworthy pieces of Parliamentary activity and business for co-operators each week. It will highlight the work being done by Co-operative Party MPs and co-operators in Westminster. Of […]