Former General Secretary of the Co-operative Party
Michael Stephenson was General Secretary of the Co-operative Party from July 2008 until April 2012.
Michael was previously an adviser at 10 Downing Street and worked as a senior political adviser in Australia for a number of years.
- Michael Stephenson to step down as General Secretary (5 Mar 2012)Michael Stephenson announced today he is stepping down as General Secretary. Here is his letter to members. Colleagues, comrades, co-operators, I have told the NEC today that I will be standing down as General Secretary of the Co-operative Party in the coming months. After nearly four years in the job I believe it is the […]
- Johann Lamont new Leader of Scottish Labour (22 Dec 2011)Johann Lamont, the Labour & Co-operative Member of the Scottish Parliament for Glasgow Pollok, has been elected as the first ever Leader of the Scottish Labour Party. Johann, who was previously a minister and Deputy Leader of Labour in the Scottish Parliament, topped the poll of members, elected representatives and members of affiliates including the […]
- New Policy Network pamphlet: ‘What mutualism means for Labour’ (26 Oct 2011)Leading think tank Policy Network has produced a new pamphlet on the role of co-operative values and structures in rethinking Labour’s approach by a range of authors including Michael Stephenson, General Secretary of the Co-operative Party. This pamphlet sets out to develop a clear vision of what mutualism means for Labour and how it can […]
- Sewn Up: a Co-operative Party international campaign (23 Sep 2011)General Secretary Michael Stephenson announces our new campaign to support a women’s co-operative in South Africa – Sewn Up. During my trip to South Africa last summer, I visited a number of co-operatives in Ivory Park, a township near Johannesburg. The one that really inspired me was the Kopano Women’s Sewing Co-operative. Like the other […]
- Conference preview: Credo and Credit – Relational economics for the street and the City (20 Sep 2011)Rob Carr of the Christian Socialist Movement previews our joint event at Labour Party Conference next week. The Christian Socialist Movement is delighted to be co-hosting a now-traditional joint event with the Co-operative Party. In this time of economic turmoil and financial uncertainty, now is the perfect time to examine our relationship with money, both […]