Stella was elected for Walthamstow in 2010, having previously been a Waltham Forest councillor and Mayor of the Borough, and currently serves as a Shadow Minister for Business, Innovation and Skills.
Stella gained her PhD in psychology and worked for the Scouting Association and Involve, the public involvement think tank. Previously she worked in Westminster for Douglas Alexander, Charles Clarke and Ross Cranston.
Stella has been leading a high profile campaign to control legal loan sharks.
Listed among: Members of Parliament
- Co-operative MPs celebrate Co-operatives Fortnight (6 Jul 2013)Today, International Co-operatives Day, marks the close of Co-operatives Fortnight 2013, celebrated around the country by co-operative enterprises. Our Members of Parliament made their own contribution by organising a Parliamentary debate, highlighting the great work of co-ops here and abroad. The debate was organized by Chris Evans, Labour & Co-operative MP for Islwyn. Throughout the […]
- Step forward in the House of Lords for loansharks campaign (29 Nov 2012)Last night the government recognised the need to cap the interest rates charged on payday loans, responding to a debate in the House of Lords on a proposed amendment to the Financial Services Bill. As inflation rises and household incomes fall, increasing numbers of people are borrowing from payday lenders to make ends meet and […]
- Stella Creasy MP dinner in Liverpool, 11th October (6 Oct 2012)Stella Creasy MP dinner – an invitation from Liverpool & Sefton Co-operative Party Great news! Stella Creasy has agreed to be the guest of honour at our first Liverpool & Sefton Co-operative Party fundraising dinner. Stella will be speaking about her fantastic work campaigning to End Legal Loan Sharks and what it means to be […]
- Bringing the End Legal Loansharking campaign to Labour Party Conference (1 Oct 2012)The Co-operative Party’s Development & Campaigns Officer Rebecca Mattingly previews tonight’s Labour Party Conference event. Today at Labour Party Conference, the Co-operative Party will join with Movement for Change for an End Legal Loansharking campaign training session. Speakers including Rt Hon Tessa Jowell MP and Stella Creasy MP will build on growing activism around the […]
- The Co-operative Party at Labour Party Conference (25 Sep 2012)The Co-operative Party has announced its events at Labour Party Conference which takes place in Manchester next week. We are hosting a varied set of fringe meetings, training events and socials, with partners including CSM, Movement for Change, Compass, the Fabians and Labour Students. We look forward to seeing delegates in Manchester – the Co-operative […]
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister: Engagements (22 Oct 2014)Stella Creasy: A year ago, the Prime Minister looked a grieving mother in the eye as she begged him to get the British police involved in investigating the murder of her son in Greece. He said no. This week, at the trial, we discovered that the forensic evidence was compromised. Can the Prime Minister tell us why he sent police to Thailand to pursue a murder case on Friday, and what he will do in order to...
- Leaseholders’ Rights (Insurance) (22 Oct 2014)Stella Creasy: One of the issues with the freehold management company that I have been discussing is that it has said it may give information to individual leaseholders but that, as the policy in this instance is a collective policy, it will not release information about it. That means that my constituents cannot assess whether or not they are being fairly charged across the piece. After all, terrorism is...
- Business of the House: Iraq: Coalition Against ISIL (26 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: Will my right hon. Friend put on record her interest in the work of the Active Change Foundation in Walthamstow? It not only set up the “Not in My Name” campaign, which both the Prime Minister and the President of the United States have talked about, but is doing exactly the kind of work my right hon. Friend is talking about and which we should be doing more of.
- Written Answers — Business, Innovation and Skills: Government Assistance (11 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills (1) how many and what proportion of recipients of (a) grants or (b) loans underwritten by the Government were female in the last five years; (2) what requirements there are for delivery partners to monitor the gender of (a) applicants for and (b) recipients of government-backed (i) grants and (ii) loan schemes; (3) how many...
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice: Topical Questions (9 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: I very much welcome the decision by the victims Minister to meet me and my hon. Friend the Member for Leyton and Wanstead (John Cryer) and the families of Tyrell Matthews-Burton. May I make so bold as to ask that the Under-Secretary of State for Justice, the hon. Member for North West Cambridgeshire (Mr Vara), who has responsibility for courts and legal aid, should join us at that meeting?...
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice: Victims of Crime (9 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: What steps he plans to take to enforce the code of practice for victims of crime.
- Written Answers — Treasury: Consumers: Protection (8 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer pursuant to the answer of 9 July 2014, Official Report, column 355W, on consumers: protection, what assessment he has made of the effect on consumers of the limits on the Financial Conduct Authority's powers to issue fines in cases which involve (a) breaches before April 2014 and (b) investigations begun by other agencies before April 2014.
- bill presented: Hazaras (Afghanistan and Pakistan) (1 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: Will my right hon. Friend give way?
- Oral Answers to Questions — Education: Ukraine (Flight MH17) and Gaza (21 Jul 2014)Stella Creasy: The Prime Minister has talked today about the importance of political will. He also said that he spoke to several EU leaders over the weekend. In those conversations, did he talk to them about the situation in Gaza and what further pressure can be brought to bear to bring about a ceasefire to end this ceaseless violence?
- Written Answers — Business, Innovation and Skills: Adrian Beecroft (15 Jul 2014)Stella Creasy: To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills on what dates (a) he, (b) Ministers in his Department and (c) officials in his Department had meetings with Adrian Beecroft between May 2012 and June 2014.
Press Release: Stella Brings Uma to Walthamstow to Inspire the Next Generation! (18 Oct 2014)
Local MP Stella Creasy has spoken about why she asked Uma Kumaran, prospective parliamentary candidate for Harrow East, to come to Walthamstow and tackling disengagement amongst young people from the political process. She said: “As soon as I met Uma I thought she was one to watch! That’s why I wanted to bring her here…Continue reading →
Circular Firing Up Squad: What Do Women Who Take Part Say? (9 Sep 2014)
Currently in the British parliament there are more male MPs than there have ever been women elected. Changing this requires challenging the prejudice women face within our society, and also building the ability of women to take part in public life. The Circular Firing Up Squad is a safe place where women are encouraged to support and challenge…Continue reading →
Working for Walthamstow: Administrative Assistant Vacancy (22 Aug 2014)
An opportunity has arisen to join my team Working for Walthamstow. This role involves providing administrative support to the day-to-day running of Stella’s office and in particular assisting with the financial and logistical administration of a busy constituency team. The hours of this role are flexible, and it may suit someone with caring or studying…Continue reading →
Walthamstow’s Edinburgh Primary School Buddies Go to Number 10! (10 Aug 2014)
The children at Edinburgh Primary made these beautiful buddies to highlight the campaign to ensure every child can go to school and asked me to ensure the Prime Minister was aware of their concerns. I’m very grateful to local student Amber Marshall who has been doing work experience in my office and who helped us make this…Continue reading →
Press Release: Home Sweet Home Campaigners Take Over Town Square to Highlight E17 Housing Horrors (7 Aug 2014)
Members of the Walthamstow Home Sweet Home Campaign will be in Walthamstow Town Square on Saturday 9 August from 1.30pm as part of their campaign to improve access to quality housing for all local residents. They have organised a ‘listening space’ for residents to tell their stories about the good and bad in Walthamstow’s letting…Continue reading →