Stella was elected for Walthamstow in 2010, having previously been a Waltham Forest councillor and Mayor of the Borough, and currently serves as a Shadow Minister for Business, Innovation and Skills.
Stella gained her PhD in psychology and worked for the Scouting Association and Involve, the public involvement think tank. Previously she worked in Westminster for Douglas Alexander, Charles Clarke and Ross Cranston.
Stella has been leading a high profile campaign to control legal loan sharks.
Listed among: Members of Parliament
- Co-operative MPs celebrate Co-operatives Fortnight (6 Jul 2013)Today, International Co-operatives Day, marks the close of Co-operatives Fortnight 2013, celebrated around the country by co-operative enterprises. Our Members of Parliament made their own contribution by organising a Parliamentary debate, highlighting the great work of co-ops here and abroad. The debate was organized by Chris Evans, Labour & Co-operative MP for Islwyn. Throughout the […]
- Step forward in the House of Lords for loansharks campaign (29 Nov 2012)Last night the government recognised the need to cap the interest rates charged on payday loans, responding to a debate in the House of Lords on a proposed amendment to the Financial Services Bill. As inflation rises and household incomes fall, increasing numbers of people are borrowing from payday lenders to make ends meet and […]
- Stella Creasy MP dinner in Liverpool, 11th October (6 Oct 2012)Stella Creasy MP dinner – an invitation from Liverpool & Sefton Co-operative Party Great news! Stella Creasy has agreed to be the guest of honour at our first Liverpool & Sefton Co-operative Party fundraising dinner. Stella will be speaking about her fantastic work campaigning to End Legal Loan Sharks and what it means to be […]
- Bringing the End Legal Loansharking campaign to Labour Party Conference (1 Oct 2012)The Co-operative Party’s Development & Campaigns Officer Rebecca Mattingly previews tonight’s Labour Party Conference event. Today at Labour Party Conference, the Co-operative Party will join with Movement for Change for an End Legal Loansharking campaign training session. Speakers including Rt Hon Tessa Jowell MP and Stella Creasy MP will build on growing activism around the […]
- The Co-operative Party at Labour Party Conference (25 Sep 2012)The Co-operative Party has announced its events at Labour Party Conference which takes place in Manchester next week. We are hosting a varied set of fringe meetings, training events and socials, with partners including CSM, Movement for Change, Compass, the Fabians and Labour Students. We look forward to seeing delegates in Manchester – the Co-operative […]
- Written Answers — Department of Health: Muscular Dystrophy: Drugs (15 Dec 2014)Stella Creasy: To ask the Secretary of State for Health, when the NHS will make a decision on the funding for Translarna; if he will make funding available to ensure that the people who may benefit from Translarna have long-term access to that drug; what steps he is taking to ensure that emerging treatments for Duchenne muscular dystrophy are fully funded by the NHS; and if he will make a statement.
- Oral Answers to Questions — Work and Pensions: Child Maintenance (8 Dec 2014)Stella Creasy: What steps he is taking to ensure that child maintenance is paid to parents with care in separated families.
- Written Answers — Home Office: Stalking (26 Nov 2014)Stella Creasy: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, how many complaints of stalking were recorded by the police in England and Wales in each of the last three years.
- Written Answers — Attorney General: Stalking (27 Oct 2014)Stella Creasy: To ask the Attorney General, how many people have been charged under the provisions of section 4a of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 since 25 November 2012.
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister: Engagements (22 Oct 2014)Stella Creasy: A year ago, the Prime Minister looked a grieving mother in the eye as she begged him to get the British police involved in investigating the murder of her son in Greece. He said no. This week, at the trial, we discovered that the forensic evidence was compromised. Can the Prime Minister tell us why he sent police to Thailand to pursue a murder case on Friday, and what he will do in order to...
- Leaseholders’ Rights (Insurance) (22 Oct 2014)Stella Creasy: One of the issues with the freehold management company that I have been discussing is that it has said it may give information to individual leaseholders but that, as the policy in this instance is a collective policy, it will not release information about it. That means that my constituents cannot assess whether or not they are being fairly charged across the piece. After all, terrorism is...
- Business of the House: Iraq: Coalition Against ISIL (26 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: Will my right hon. Friend put on record her interest in the work of the Active Change Foundation in Walthamstow? It not only set up the “Not in My Name” campaign, which both the Prime Minister and the President of the United States have talked about, but is doing exactly the kind of work my right hon. Friend is talking about and which we should be doing more of.
- Written Answers — Business, Innovation and Skills: Government Assistance (11 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills (1) how many and what proportion of recipients of (a) grants or (b) loans underwritten by the Government were female in the last five years; (2) what requirements there are for delivery partners to monitor the gender of (a) applicants for and (b) recipients of government-backed (i) grants and (ii) loan schemes; (3) how many...
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice: Topical Questions (9 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: I very much welcome the decision by the victims Minister to meet me and my hon. Friend the Member for Leyton and Wanstead (John Cryer) and the families of Tyrell Matthews-Burton. May I make so bold as to ask that the Under-Secretary of State for Justice, the hon. Member for North West Cambridgeshire (Mr Vara), who has responsibility for courts and legal aid, should join us at that meeting?...
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice: Victims of Crime (9 Sep 2014)Stella Creasy: What steps he plans to take to enforce the code of practice for victims of crime.
Our Bodies Our Future: Conference on Sex and Relationship Education 24 January 2015 (19 Dec 2014)
As Walthamstow’s MP I am committed to ensuring this community is a safe space for every young person to grow up. I know many of you share my concerns about recent events in our area, and determination to support both boys and girls to make healthy and informed choices about their sexual and physical well…Continue reading →
Walthamstow Housing Awards – The Finalists (28 Nov 2014)
Here’s the list of finalists for the Walthamstow Housing Awards! You can find the ballot here. The list of Finalists was compiled from the results of a previous call for nominations which you can find here. The Best Letting Agent in Walthamstow 2014 Stow Brothers Homes Spencers The Worst Letting Agent in Walthamstow…Continue reading →
Voting Opens for Walthamstow Housing Awards (24 Nov 2014)
Polls are now open for the Walthamstow Housing Campaign Awards. These have been created by local campaigners working with MP Stella Creasy to highlight the good and bad in housing in the area. Speaking about the awards she said: ‘We started this campaign because housing is one of the top issues residents raise with me as so…Continue reading →
FCA Lets Sharks Off the Hook as Cost Cap Set Too High Warns MP (11 Nov 2014)
Responding to today’s announcement of the level set for a cap on high cost credit agreements by the Financial Conduct Authority Labour’s Shadow Competition and Consumer Affairs Minister, Stella Creasy MP, said: “Today’s news will be welcomed as an early Christmas present for Britain’s legal loan-sharks. This cap is just £1 lower than their current…Continue reading →
Sale of the EMD to Antic London Pubs – Stella Creasy and the Waltham Forest Cinema Trust Respond (10 Nov 2014)
Responding to the reports that The Antic Pub Company had bought the former Granada Cinema from the UCKG Church local MP Stella Creasy issued the following statement: “I’ve spoken with the potential new owners of the former Granada cinema to ensure they are aware of the high public interest in Walthamstow in this building and…Continue reading →