As a member of the Co-operative Party, you’ll join thousands of people across the UK in making the case for a strong voice for co-operatives in politics. Once you’ve been a member long enough you’ll be able to elect our National Executive, take part in selections for Labour & Co-operative candidates and help set the Party’s policies. You can even stand for election yourself.
Members can attend and vote at local meetings, become a delegate to our Conference and access support and training to develop your campaigning skills and help you represent your local community. You’ll also receive a membership card and regular emails and magazines about the Party as well as discounts with some of our co-op partners.
So, whether you’d like to support our work to put co-operative values at the heart of politics or want to get stuck in and campaign for a fairer society, join now and together we can make a difference. We have a variety of membership rates starting from only £1 per year – our standard rate is just £3 per month.
- You join the political voice of a co-operative movement with millions of members in the UK and more than one billion across the world;
- You can vote and stand in elections to our National Executive Committee after you’ve been a member long enough and decide the Party’s policies through our member-led policy process;
- You may take part in selections for Labour & Co-operative candidates for Parliament, devolved institutions and local government – you can even stand for election yourself;
- You can take part in your local party by attending and voting in meetings, be elected an officer or become a delegate to our Annual Conference;
- You get access to training and support to help you campaign, develop co-operative policies or stand for election to represent your community;
- You can access a range of benefits and discounts with some of our partners including the Phone Co-op and the Co-operative Credit Union;
- You receive a membership card as well as regular emails and our twice yearly magazine, keeping you up to date on our work along with information about campaigns from across the co-operative movement;
- You will meet other co-operators, locally and nationally, and together help to change your local community and work towards a fairer society.
The Co-operative Party is an independent political party with an electoral agreement with the Labour Party. Since we signed this agreement in 1927, we have a unique relationship meaning that you can be a member of both political parties. You do not need to be a Labour Party member to join the Co-operative Party, but you cannot be a member of another party.
To become a member of the Co-operative Party you will need to complete our short application form – membership of the Party is separate from your society membership.
To be a member of the Co-operative Party, you must also be a member of a recognised co-operative society – there are nearly 7,000 co-operatives in the UK, with millions of members.
After we receive your application you should receive your membership card, welcome pack and details for your local party within two weeks.
At first you can attend local meetings as a ‘visitor’. After three months and when your membership has been approved by your local party, you will be able to vote at any meetings, selections and elections.
When you have been a member for six months, you will be able to stand for election for local Co-operative Party positions.
We have a variety of membership fees and payment methods to make membership of the Party more accessible. Our membership fees haven’t risen since 2014 and are:
- Standard: £34 per year or £3 per month
- Reduced income: £20 per year or £2 per month
- Youth (19-22): £10 per year or £1 per month
- Youth (14-18): £1 per year
We prefer members to pay by Direct Debit as it significantly reduces our costs, meaning more of your membership fee can be spent on more important things.
If you don’t want to set up a Direct Debit you can also join the Party by using your credit or debit card by clicking here. If you prefer to pay be cheque or postal order, click here to download and print a membership form – simply return this with your cheque or postal order to Freepost Co-operative Party, 65 St John Street, London EC1M 4AN.
- What do I get as a member of the Party?
- Do I need to be a member of the Labour Party to join?
- I'm already a member of a co-op, does that make me a member of the Party?
- How long do I have to wait for my membership to start?
- How much does membership cost and how do I pay?
- I have another question/I want to know more about the Party
- I'd like further information before joining